Israel Emergency Campaign Resources
- On October 7, 2023, during the holiday of Simchat Torah, Hamas terrorists launched an unprecedented attack on Israel from Gaza, firing thousands of rockets, breaching the country’s borders, infiltrating Israeli communities and kidnapping civilians.
- Known to date, over 1,200 Israelis have been killed, and thousands more wounded. 388 soldiers have been confirmed killed since October 7. 88 hostages kidnapped and held in Gaza by Hamas have been released. Tragically 155 men, women and children remain captive. The US confirms that 31 Americans were killed in the attack and there are American hostages being held as well.
- Jewish Federations of North America have raised over $659 million to support Israel, surpassing the $500 million emergency campaign goal. Already, Jewish Federations have allocated over $200 million through 116 partner organizations and NGOs including the Jewish Agency for Israel, JDC, World ORT, Israel Trauma Coalition, United Hatzalah, Magen David Adom and Dror Israel. These funds are being put to several immediate and urgent needs, such as medical care, emergency services, evacuation, transport, housing, supporting victims of terror, trauma relief and psychological support, as well as preparing for medium- and long-term needs. In addition, with 200,000 Israelis displaced, the danger of a multi-front war and the array of human and economic challenges growing by the day, Jewish Federations are expanding their support in line with the ever-developing needs.
Our Response To Date
- As of today, the Detroit Federation’s Israel Emergency Campaign has raised $28.37 million from 3,150 donors, with major contributions from leading Jewish Foundations including the Max M. & Marjorie S. Fisher Foundation. Federation has appointed an Allocation Committee to ensure that needs are being assessed and the funds are used in the most urgent and effective manner. The Committee will be meeting again in the immediate future to allocate more of the Israel Emergency Campaigns dollar across 12 submitted proposals.
- $286,000 was allocated to the three municipalities in our Partnership 2Gether region to be used primarily for the renovation and reinforcement of public safe houses.
- $100K was allocated to the Jewish Agency for Israel (JAFI) Victims of Terror Fund for families and individuals who have been impacted by acts of terror and violence, providing immediate grants to rebuild homes damaged by rocket fire, and for long-term rehabilitation and post-trauma care.
- The Detroit Federation hosted 80 families from the South in hotels in safer areas. 100 backpacks were delivered to troops. 400 sets of thermal pants and shirts were delivered to troops in the North.
- $50K was given to Dror Israel, one of Federation’s supported programs, to help evacuees, provide youth counselors and programming in bomb shelters plus daycare for children of hospital staff and essential personnel.
- Locally, community security remains a core priority. Jewish Community Security Inc. (JCSI) continues to work closely with local and national law enforcement to safeguard the welfare of our community. We are grateful to local police departments for their ongoing vigilance.
How The Campaign Funding Will Be / Has Been Used
The Jewish Federations of North America Israel Office, having activated emergency protocols, is working closely with our partners and is in close contact with the Government of Israel and the IDF.
Your support makes it possible for our primary partners the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC), the Jewish Agency for Israel, World ORT, the Israel Trauma Coalition and Dror Israel to respond immediately to urgent needs on the ground in Israel.
How You Can Help
Support the Israel Emergency Campaign
Support the people of Israel during this devastating time through our Israel Emergency Campaign. 100% of your donation directly supports the victims of terror, helps rebuild damaged infrastructure and addresses the unprecedented levels of trauma throughout Israel.
Donate to Federation’s 2024 Annual Campaign
The war in Israel is affecting our entire global Jewish family, including our community here in Detroit. As we continue to support Israel during this critical time, we also have to ensure that the 2024 Annual Campaign remains strong. Our ability to respond to urgent needs in Israel—and those in our
backyard—depends on the success of our Campaign. Please donate here.
Call on all elected officials in America to act and continue speaking out for Israel’s right to defend itself
At this moment, Israel needs the unwavering support of the American people. Join the American Jewish Committee (AJC) in pushing for all federal, state, and local leaders to unequivocally condemn Hamas and stand with Israel against terror. Take action now. It only takes 30 seconds.
Write a letter to a soldier
Join others worldwide in writing letters or sharing drawings/pictures for Israeli soldiers on the front lines. This is an opportunity to show the IDF support for defending the Jewish people and the State of Israel. Any member of your household from young to old can participate in this small but significant gesture of support. Use this link to upload messages of hope and gratitude to the Federation drop box.
Participate in the #BlueRibbonsForIsrael Campaign
The blue ribbon symbolizes support for the safe return of the hostages taken by Hamas terrorists in Israel, and solidarity with the hostages, their families and all who care about their safety. Wearing a ribbon or tying them to your trees and mailboxes publicly unites you with people of all religions, races, nationalities, ethnicities, ages and generations and demonstrates to the people of Israel that they are not alone and that good people across the globe are with them during this dark time. Pick up your ribbons at Federation. Learn more here.
A Note on the Donation of solider supplies and volunteering in Israel
While we greatly understand and appreciate the intent, physical donations are not being collected at this time. The Jewish Federations of North America has put together a list of FAQ’s in response to inquiries about equipment donations for soldiers and opportunities for foreign volunteer opportunities.
You can find the Requests for Donations of Equipment for Soldiers FAQs here.
The Overseas Volunteers in Israel FAQs can be found here.
A Mezuzah for Every Jewish Home in Michigan
Bring both spiritual connection and protection to yourself and our brethren in Israel during this difficult time. A project of Chabad Lubavitch of Michigan. Get your mezuzah here.
The Jewish People Policy Institute (JPPI) Daily Webinar
Sunday through Thursday, 11 – 11:30 AM ET
JPPI is hosting daily webinars sponsored by Jewish Federations and the Jewish Agency. A rotating team of top analysts of Israeli military affairs, the US-Israel relationship, Israel’s political system and the country’s diverse society will speak.
With us or against us? The geopolitical landscape in the Israel-Hamas War
Sunday, December 10, 10 AM, Virtual
As the war with Hamas continues, how does the situation affect the geopolitical relationship between Israel and its neighbors and what is the impact on Israel’s Arab society? Join Federation’s Israel & Overseas Department for their next Coffee Press event to take a deeper dive into Israel at war. Ksenia Svetlova, an expert in Middle Eastern affairs and radical Islam will be the guest. Svetlova is a senior research fellow at the Institute for Policy and Strategy (Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya) and Senior Policy Fellow at the “Mitvim” Institute for Foreign Policy. She was also a member of the 20th Knesset. Her experience will help you understand this topic and its far-reaching repercussions.
Info & Resources
Report Antisemitic Incidences
Report antisemitic threats, incidents, or suspicious activity related to Jewish organizations, facilities, or community members in your area through the Secure Community Network Incident Report Form.
For Heaven’s Sake Podcast
In the wake of the brutal and devastating attack by Hamas on October 7 and the unfolding war in Israel, we are sharing a special series from the For Heaven’s Sake podcast with Donniel Hartman and Yossi Klein Halevi, For Heaven’s Sake: Israel at War. Listen to the first three episodes and stay tuned for more in the coming days and weeks.
Unpacked: A Guide to Understanding the War Between Israel and Hamas
War is always complicated. Unpacked’s mission has always been to bring context, clarity and nuance to complex situations in ways that are easy to digest. Start with this selection of videos, podcasts and articles.
What You Can Say
The amount of information against Israel can feel overwhelming. As the situation progresses and our emotions run high, it can be tempting to immediately comment on and/or share what we see. But now, more than ever, it’s important for us to take the time to carefully assess what we’re reading and respond thoughtfully.