Join the Group(s).
Our Special-Interest Groups (also known as Affinities) bring like-minded people together for year-round social, educational and networking events. Join us and meet new people, hang out with old friends and have fun every step along the way.
For the latest information and events, sign up for our newsletter today.
Why Affinities at Federation?
Because you never know what doors Federation can open for you, because lifelong friendships begin with common interests, because networking doesn’t have to be all work, because fundraising starts with fun…
For every Federation Affinity group there’s a reason, a purpose and a dynamic built upon creative programming. Federation’s Affinity programs all have grown out of the mission to give members every opportunity to connect, engage, learn, volunteer, grow, give back and inspire others along the path on their Jewish journey.
Pound for Pound Men’s Group
Connect with other Gen X men from across the Detroit Jewish community for unique networking and social events. A great way to meet new people, hang out with old friends and stay connected to the important work Federation is doing to keep our community strong.
Chairs: Geoff Kretchmer, Jim Ketai and Adam Cohen
- Arn Tellem (Detroit Pistons Vice Chairman) at John Varvatos Detroit
- Whiskey & Wisdom with Rabbi Josh Bennett & Rabbi Mike Moskowitz
- Detroit Axe Boys Night Out
- Mitch Albom at the DAC
- StockX’s Josh Luber at the Lisa Spindler Gallery
- Summer Social at Two James Spirits
Real Estate Group
Engage with other area Jewish real estate professionals to network, visit new and interesting Detroit sites/developments, hear from inspiring speakers and keep up to date on the role the Jewish Federation plays in building a better world and Detroit Jewish community.
Chair: Todd Sachse
- Kickoff with Bill Taubman at the home of Karen & Todd Sachse
- City Modern Hard Hat Tour & Reception at The Scott
- Shinola Hotel Tours & Bedrock Detroit Panel Discussion
Maimonides Society of Physicians
Our Maimonides Society connects physicians to one another, to the community and to Jewish philanthropy. You’ll join your colleagues for both social and educational events, leadership training, and overseas mission experiences for you and your spouse.
Chairs: Bill Goldstein & Lou Sobol
- Private evening at the Detroit Institute of Arts
- Cooking Night at Specialties Showroom
- Detroit Pistons Box Seats
- Summer Social at Bistro Joe’s
- An evening with Dr. Ofer Merin (Sharey Zedek Hospital Director in Jerusalem & IDF’s Chief of Field Hospitals)
- History Distilled at Two James Spirits
- Missions to Cuba, Morocco and Israel
- Annual Formal Lecture – featuring a nationally recognized medical speaker that attracts the broad community and offers CME credits for physicians.
- Forman Leadership Program – a yearlong program that cultivates the next generation of Maimonides Society leaders and culminates in a mission to Israel (Chairs: Ilana & Zachary Liss)
This series of quick sessions introduces women to the programs Jewish Federation, Women’s Philanthropy and the Detroit Jewish community have to offer. You’ll gain an understanding of our community to see what areas energize you the most to get involved.
The newest addition to Federation’s Affinities offerings is the Attorneys Group. Launched in the Fall of 2021 with a kickoff featuring The Honorable Bernard Friedman and Barbara McQuade, this group was created to connect local Jewish attorneys to one another and to the Federation. We plan to offer two to three events per year for this growing group.
Chairs: Jeffrey Kirschner, Jodi Robin and Jonathan Sterling