Tzedakah Experience Teaches Kids About Giving Back
January 28, 2013 | Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit
The Alliance for Jewish Education’s hugely successful Tzedakah Experience was held this past Sunday.
Over 400 people gathered together at Temple Israel to learn about our Detroit Jewish Community and ways they can get involved and help. Sixth graders and their parents were exposed to the many wonderful volunteer opportunities in our community, learned about our strong network of agencies, and engaged in discussions about the real needs in our community.
The event featured three main components:
- Change Matters: the collection of currency to be distributed to community agencies
- Choose Your Own Adventure: an experiential look at the Federation’s agencies
- Mitzvah Mall: a one-stop “shopping” experience for students to learn about the community’s age-appropriate volunteer opportunities (including a kiosk from Federation).
At the end of the morning, once families learned more about our agencies, they allocated the tzedakah money via text messaging.
Comments were heard from parents and children about how much they learned and how much they enjoyed their time together:
- “Cool way to engage the kids and parents and motivate them to find different agencies to connect with.”
- “We are proud to be a part of this caring community.”
An event like this could not take place without many partnerships and helping hands!
Thank you to Temple Israel for providing their building and staff to help with the program, to Andy Ziegler (A-Z Vending) for counting the tzedakah donations, The Metro Detroit Board of Jewish Educators, and the many Federation staff who helped both before and during the program.
The Jewish Federation Honors Douglas Bloom with the Fred M. Butzel Award
September 5, 2018
JPM: A Letter to the Community from the Jewish Federation
June 28, 2018
Israel@70 Rocks on the RiverFront! A Birthday Celebration to Remember, June 20
June 7, 2018
Federation’s Annual Awards Night Event to Honor Its 2018 Award Winners
April 13, 2018