Take Part in the 2014 Great Purim Parcel Project
February 11, 2014 | Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit
The 2014 Great Purim Parcel Project is run by JFamily, ( formerly known as the Jewish Experiences For Families) the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit, Alliance for Jewish Education and in cooperation with area congregations, religious schools and Jewish organizations.
What is Purim and Mishloach Manot?
Purim is one of the most joyous and fun holidays on the Jewish calendar. It commemorates a time when the Jewish people living in Persia were saved.
At the end of the Purim story, Mordechai told the Jewish people to make Purim, “days of feasting and gladness, a holiday, and of sending gifts of food to another and gifts to the poor.” In that spirit, we send parcels (Mishloach Manot) with at least two kinds of treats to our friends, our family and our Detroit Jewish Community.
How do I get involved?
It’s easy to participate in all or one of the projects below!
1. Make Mishloach Manot parcels at home WITH your family and friends, FOR your family and friends.
- Grab your family and invite your friends over to make Mishloach Manot parcels with you. There are no rules about what goes in a Purim parcel. Be creative and put a sweet and a salty treat in a homemade package. A hamantashen is a great idea. Then give your parcels to your family, friends or neighbors
2. Make Mishloach Manot Parcels WITH your family and friends, and BRING them to the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit. We will deliver them to individuals in the Detroit Jewish Community through the help of Jewish Agencies such as Yad Ezra, Meals on wheels, JARC and other agencies that help our Jewish Community. Parcels may be dropped off at the JFMD between 9am – 5pm during the week of March 3-7.
***All items must be individually wrapped and certified kosher to be delivered.
3. Make Mishloach Manot with your children at your CONGREGATION or AGENCY. Each participating congregation or agency listed below has created their own plan to collect, make and deliver parcels.
List as of February 12.
|Aish Huntington Woods||Hillel Day School|
|Adat Shalom Synagogue||Akiva|
|Congregation Beth Shalom||Temple Beth El|
|Congregation Shaarey Zedek||Temple Emanuel El|
|Congregation Beth Ahm||Temple Kol Ami|
|Congregation Shir Tikvah||JCC Preschool|
4. Join the Detroit Jewish Community on Sunday, March 9th as we create and deliver Mishloach Manot together. Stop by anytime, with your family, from 11 am to 3 pm to make and or help us deliver parcels. Share smiles, laughs and sing as we make Purim Parcels together.
Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit
6735 Telegraph Road
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Want to make your own hamantashen? Click here.
Got a Question?
Ask Julie Yaker at (248) 203-1465 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Generously funded by: Hermelin Davidson Center for Congregation Excellence
Community Briefing: Response to the Attack in Pittsburgh
October 27, 2018
Community Briefing: 2018 Jewish Population Study Snapshot
September 17, 2018
The Jewish Federation Honors Douglas Bloom with the Fred M. Butzel Award
September 5, 2018
JPM: A Letter to the Community from the Jewish Federation
June 28, 2018