- Participation in the Nirim program is open to supplementary school teachers in the Detroit metro area, whose educational institutions are affiliated with the Alliance for Jewish Education.
- Registration for the Nirim program is required to participate or to earn a Nirim stipend. You may register by completing the registration form that is found by clicking here.
- An individual completing the Nirim requirements will be called a “בוגר\בוגרת נירים” (“bo-gair/bo-gerret Nirim”) a “Nirim graduate”, for the year in which the completion takes place.
- To become a “בוגר\בוגרת נירים”, a Nirim graduate, an individual needs:
a) to register for, complete, and submit boarding passes for 12 or more credits
b) To have among one’s completed Nirim credits at least one חברת מורים (“Chevrat Morim”) course.
- A חברת מורים (chevrat morim) course is designated as such on the “Available Courses” page of the Nirim catalog. A חברת מורים (chevrat morim) course is one that lasts a minimum of three sessions. To receive any Nirim credits for attending חברת מורים (chevrat morim) courses, one needs to attend all of the sessions that are part of that course.
Nirim Credits and Stipends
- There are two types of Nirim credits that one can earn:
A) “In Network” credits are earned by registering, attending, and submitting the “boarding pass” for courses listed on the Nirim website.
B) “Out-of-Network” credits are earned by:1) participating in courses, lectures, or workshops that are not listed on the Nirim website, which your school director has approved. Credit is awarded upon receipt of notification by the director of the Nirim program of a request for awarding out-of network credits.
The request needs to include the name and date of the class taken, and the number of authorized Nirim credits.
2) by registering, attending, and submitting the “boarding pass” for a course that is designated as “Out –of-Network” on the “Available Courses” listing on the Nirim site.
- The total of “Out-of-Network credits that an individual may earn each year is limited, as per the chart below:
Total # of Nirim Credits Maximum # of Out-of-Network 12 – 15 4 16 – 19 5 20 or more 6
- Following the end of the academic year, בוגרי נירים (Bogrei Nirim) will receive stipends from the Alliance for Jewish Education, based upon the following Nirim credit formula:
Total # of Nirim Credits Stipend Amount 12 – 15 $200 16 – 19 $250 20 or more $300
- It is the responsibility of the Nirim participant to assure that their awarded Nirim credits are accurate by the deadline date that is established by the director of the Nirim program. For the 2014-15 year, the deadline date is April 15, 2015. Failure to verify your record of credits by the deadline date may result in your forfeiting stipend funds that may be due you.
- The number of “in-network” credits that are awarded for courses, is at the discretion of the director of the Nirim program. These decisions are based on the nature of each course that is offered.
Registering for Nirim and Nirim Classes
- To register for the Nirim program, click here. Click the “New User Registration” link. Then complete all required information. Upon completion of the registration form, you will be able to view courses that are offered by selecting the “View Available Courses” tab.
- By clicking on the name of the course, you will be able to see a description of the course.
- To request registration for the course, click on the “Register” button on the far right of the page. Please note that the number of seats for each class is limited.
The Nirim Director Is Mr. Harvey Leven, Associate Director of the Alliance for Jewish Education.
Questions About Our Teachers Program?