Explore “Jewish” in our award-winning Melton School. Using Biblical and contemporary texts, we connect our past with the present, in a thought-provoking, dynamic environment.
Sign up for Year 1, Return for Year 2!
- Rhythms: A new look at the Jewish calendar, holidays and life cycle events
- Purposes: The “whys” of Judaism
- Crossroads of Jewish History: Defining moments that have shaped Judaism.
- Ethics: Ancient commandments and how they are relevant today.
Melton Year 1 Classes
Classes meet weekly for two hours per week, 30 weeks a year for two years
Open to adults of all ages.
Tuesday Evenings – 6:45-9 p.m.
Temple Shir Shalom
3999 Walnut Lake Road, West Bloomfield
Class begins September 13
Thursday Mornings – 9:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Jewish Community Center
D. Dan and Betty Kahn Building
Eugene and Marcia Applebaum Jewish Community Campus
6600 W. Maple Road, West Bloomfield
Class begins September 15
Thursday Evenings – 6:45-9 p.m.
Berman Center for Jewish Education at Congregation Shaarey Zedek
27375 Bell Road, Southfield
Class begins September 15
Melton Year 1 PEP (Parent Education Program)
Classes meet weekly for two hours per week, 28 weeks a year for two years
The Melton curriculum adapted for parents with children newborn through 8th grade.
Monday Mornings – 9:15-11:30 a.m.
Max M. Fisher Federation Building
6735 Telegraph Road, Bloomfield Hills
Class begins September 12
Melton is underwritten by the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit
For more information:
Come Text with Us!
Space is limited to 25 students per class. Tuition is for one year and includes all Year 1 materials with the exception of a Tanakh (Bible). Payment plans and scholarships are available upon request.
Melton Year 1 – $640
- Tuesday Evenings: Temple Shir Shalom
- Thursday Mornings: Jewish Community Center
- Thursday Evenings: Congregation Shaarey Zedek
Melton Year 1 PEP – $375
(Parents with children newborn through 8th grade)
Monday Mornings: Federation Building
Registration form must be accompanied by a minimum deposit of $100 per person.
$50 Early Bird Discount (when $100 deposit received by August 15, 2016).
$50 Discount per Couple
$495 Young Adult Tuition (Ages 39 and under)
Please contact us to discuss scholarships or payment plans.
- Checks: Payable to Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit.
- Mail to: Melton, 6735 Telegraph Rd, Suite 370, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48301
- Credit Cards: For your security, please do not send credit card information through the mail. To pay by credit card please call (248) 205-2557.
Through a generous grant from the family and friends of Susan Robin, the Susan R. Robin Memorial Scholarship is available for students in need of financial assistance. Additional scholarships are also available through the Detroit Friends of Melton and Jewish Federation. Please call the Melton Director at (248) 642-4618 for scholarship information.
Full refunds, less a $50 processing fee, will be given through the third week of class. No refunds after completion of the third week of class.
The Florence Melton School of Adult Jewish Learning is a curriculum designed to offer adults a well-rounded, in-depth study of Judaism in a user-friendly format.
» Click here to view the Florence Melton School of Adult Jewish Learning welcome video.
“Melton is my two hours each week of pure Jewish learning. No homework, no tests, no papers. I just show up and listen to amazing instructors whose knowledge seems endless…It is the highlight of my week.” – Amanda Warner
If you want to incorporate Jewish learning into your life, then this is the place for you!
Developed at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jewish learners from all backgrounds learn about our heritage and culture in an intellectually stimulating, non-denominational environment. Our superb faculty encourage group discussion and exploration of ideas.
This is an opportunity to explore classic Jewish sources from Biblical through contemporary texts. You’ll investigate issues of Jewish thought, practices, ethics and Jewish history.
There are no prerequisites, tests or homework. The school is open to any member of the Jewish community.
- Traditional Melton meets weekly for two hours per week from September through June for two years. For more information on the Florence Melton School of Adult Jewish Learning, click here.
- Melton PEP (Parent Education Program) is an adaptation of Traditional Melton designed expecially for parents of young children ages 0 through 5th grade. this is a unique opportunity to answer your own questions about being Jewish in order to nurture your child’s growing identity. Class meets weekly for two hours per week for 28 weeks for two years.
- Foundations of Jewish Family Living is an introduction to Jewish learning for parents of young children ages pre-school through 3rd grade. This series provides parents with a thought-provoking encounter with the core values of Judaism. Thanks to a grant from the Hermelin-Davidson Center for Congregational Excellence, Foundations is offered on Sunday mornings at temples and synagogues throughout Metropolitan Detroit.» Click here to visit the Foundations page.
For more information or to register for the Florence Melton School of Adult Jewish Learning of Metropolitan Detroit contact Federation’s FedEd Department at (248) 205-2557.
Questions About Our Melton Program?
Associate Director, FedEd and The Florence Melton School of Adult Jewish Learning